six pieces for piano
1. in maytime with dame anna neagle (2001)
2. the arms of morpheus (2000)
3. the lost age of nuance (2000)
4. one handed reverie (2001)
5. ode to pico (2013)
6. lullaby in the treetops (2005)
These miniatures were written on three different continents at various times, and were compiled in 2013 when I discovered I had three examples of each genre that would fit together into a tiny cycle. Dame Anna Neagle was a sensationally popular film star and actress in 1940's and 1950's Britain, who had a genteel and elegant persona; Morpheus is the Greek god of dreams who appears in Ovid's Metamorphoses, and Pico is a girl I was asked to write a piece for.