Geoffrey O’Connor-Morris (1886-1964) was born in Thun, Switzerland, of Irish lineage.
After his education in Dublin and at the Royal College of Music, he was chosen out of 80 candidates to become assistant organist of Carlisle Cathedral in 1903 at age 17. Subsequent organist positions included St Cuthbert’s Church, Carlisle, St John’s Church, Wilton Square, London, and St Paul’s, Onslow Square from 1910 until 1918.
He was conductor of the Carl Rosa Opera Company (1918–19). Several of his compositions, including the Violin Concerto, Op 25, were performed for the Prominade Concerts (1913, 1921). During 1926, he was an organist in Belfast and Birmingham for the BBC. He was awarded in 1928 the Honorary Associate of the Royal College of Music (HonARCM). His last organist position was at the Seventh Church of Christ Scientist, Kensington, London (1930-1960).
O’Connor-Morris was a professor of conducting and orchestration at the Guildhall School of Music (1943–45) and an examiner for Trinity College of Music. His compositions include music for orchestra, choir, voice, violin, piano, and organ.
[Biography from Michael's Music Service]